Monday, March 11, 2013

Tuesdays with Morrie

Today, I read 110 pages of Tuesdays with Morrie. I have heard about this book for years, but never read it. I'm guilty of often ignoring mainstream bestsellers... literary snobbery, I know. But, I'm happy that my friend Heather recommended it for this month.



Here are two of my favorite quotes so far...

“The truth is, once you learn how to die, you learn how to live.” 


“So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they're busy doing things they think are important. This is because they're chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.”


What does this mean to me? The first quote reminds me of how important it is to consider our own mortality. In understanding the certainty of death and facing the uncertainty of the timing, I will naturally change the course of my life. By facing death, I should consider the life I want to create for the remainder of my days.... however long they may be.

The second quote is especially poignant. I have dedicated much of my life to my work - I find joy, reward, and challenge in my work supporting a non-profit environmental organization. However noble, I need to remember that even non-profit work can be overly-consuming and can drive away meaning if I'm not careful. Most days, I love my work and I'm grateful for the fulfillment. On rare days, I know that I work too much (70 hour weeks are not sustainable) and I sacrifice too much. Is more balance in order, or is it time to tip the scales in a new direction, or is it time to throw out the scales entirely?




 

1 comment:

  1. Balance is the key I have found, and a constant challenge to be aware of. Glad you enjoyed this book, I found a lot inspiration in it too. :)

    ReplyDelete